Saturday, August 14, 2010

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (... and a bit of Native Son)

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. However, I've unfortunately been unable to read or blog as much as I'd like. College has unfortunately taken over my life, and I've only been able to read 15 of the 25 books on my to-do list.

But don't despair! I plan to continue my reading, just at a much slower pace.

Anyway, I'm glad that I ended my summer on a high note: Invisible Man was really an incredible book. The opening chapter is some of the greatest literature I've ever read. In addition, had previously read Native Son by Richard Wright for AP Literature class, and I enjoyed the similarities between the two. In both novels (and I highly recommend reading them together), the protagonist is a young black male dealing with the prejudices of society. However, they both deal with their contempt in different ways. The unnamed protagonist of Invisible Man joins the Communist Party in order to better the community he lives in. In Native Son, Bigger Thomas meets members of The Communist Party and lashes out in fear against them. It's no surprise that the former character is easier to sympathize with, and yet he doesn't feel as whole or complex as Bigger is. I suppose it is due in part to the fact that the "invisible man" seems sure of his decisions at all times; whether or not they end up to be the right decisions is a different story, but he is never conflicted. Unfortunately, this leads to some pretty dry inner monologues. Nevertheless, the vivid descriptions of the riots in Harlem are more than enough to make up for the book's shortcomings.

I highly recommend this, and Native Son, to every one of my dear readers. And I'd like to apologize for the fact that I didn't truly reach my goal. However, my summer has been a wonderful one, and I know it's success is due in part to the knowlege I have gained on this literary journey.

Keep on reading!

-- Skylark

1 comments:

Chelle said...

College has a tendency to evaporate time for reading! I haven't read anything for fun since my classes started back up again!

I remember thinking the intro/first chapter to I.M. was awesome. So awesome in fact that the rest of the book just didn't compare. But it is still a great book with an interesting perspective of the time and culture. Got to love all the symbols, too!