Monday, June 21, 2010

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Although I had a vague knowledge of the main characters (I knew, for instance, there was a girl named "Lolita"), I had no further knowledge of the plot. In fact, I only knew of the book because it shares the name of a genre of Japanese fashion (Lolita wearers, however, insist that their style was not inspired by Nobokov's novel). Imagine my surprise, then, when the intentions of a perverted psychopathic are made perfectly clear within the first few paragraphs!

I should begin by saying that this novel is in no way vulgar or smutty. The language is far from offensive despite the horrifying subject matter. In fact, any depiction of sexual behavior is written with the utmost care and tenderness; there is no doubt that Humbert, no matter how psychologically disturbed, truly loved Lolita.

That being said, the novel artfully balances the line between lighthearted frolicking and gruesome acts of violence. Each character is completely two-dimensional and unpredictable. And just as every character suffers from violent mood swings, the reader's emotions are constantly toyed with.

As a huge fan of Edgar Allen Poe's poem "Annabel Lee", the book took on a second layer of importance for me. Nobokov refers to the poem extensively in the first few chapters, and then alludes to it throughout the rest of the novel. Everything from direct quotations, to mentions of sea kingdoms, to even character names (a girl named "Annabell Leigh"? Really?) heightens the obsessive, repetitive actions of Humbert Humbert. He views himself as a tragic hero who has wronged and been wronged by society, and therefore obviously identifies with the brooding unfortunate Poe.

Was the novel disturbing? Yes. But I loved every minute of it. It's not often that a main character is so despicable and yet so incredibly apologetic for his behavior. I found myself shaking my head in disbelief every few paragraphs, simply because the situations were so outrageous.

I know I'm probably one of the few who has not read this important step in sexually liberated literature, but for those who, like I, really only knew Lolita as a clothing line, I highly recommend it.

Aren't I boring? I'm recommending nearly everything! I suppose that's why they're all on Top 25 list.

0 comments: